Diabetes is a disease that affects millions of people around the planet. The two types of diabetes include; Type 1, juvenile diabetes and Type 2, adult diabetes. Type 1 is usually diagnosed in childhood and these patients will be insulin dependent for the rest of their lives. Type 2 diabetes does not usually present itself until adult hood and in many cases can be controlled with diet and exercise.
Ayurvedic Remedies For Diabetes
According to Ayurvedic texts, diabetes or madhumeha, is a type of pramehas. Twenty different types of premahas exist in Ayurveda that are said to be responsible for the cause of madhumeha. Diabetes is caused when the pancreas stops making insulin, or does not make enough, and sugar builds up in the blood. No cure exists for diabetes but with the proper care and medical attention, the patient can live a full life.Ayurvedic Treatment for Diabetes
In obese patients, the treatment consists of several steps. The body needs to be de-nourished, cleansed and then rebuilt in a healthy way. The preliminary treatment begins with Apatarpana, de-nourishment and Shamshodhana, cleansing. The first step helps to reduce body fat while the second cleanses the toxins from the body.
Once the first steps have been accomplished, the body is rebuilt with Santarpana, replenished and Brumhara, promotes healthy body bulk. This treatment works well for patients who are chronically ill. The second part of the systems will also work well to treat diabetics that are already at a premium weight.
Ayurvedic Home Remedies
Most of these recipes are made from natural ingredients that are already in your kitchen:
1. Bael (Aegle marmelos) is a beneficial herb, the leaves have anti-diabetic properties. Mix the extract of the leaves with a pinch of black pepper before consuming.
2. Bitter Gourd (Momordica charantia) is one of the most well known foods for diabetics. The seeds have charantin which works to reduce the sugar in the blood. The fruit is bitter to eat but very effective. Cook bitter gourd in ghee and eat for three months, this should bring the sugar in the blood down significantly.
3. Garlic (Allium satirum) contains allicin which reduces the sugar in the blood and also helps to reduce cholesterol. According to Ayurveda practices diabetes is a vata disorder and garlic is used to treat various vata issues.
4. Fenugreek (Trigonella foenum graecum) works to suppress the excretion of sugar in the urine and relieves many symptoms of diabetes. Soak a few of the seeds overnight in water and eat in the morning.
5. Jamun (Syzygium cumini) or Indian plum works on the pancreas to control the conversion of carbohydrates to sugar. The seeds are more effective than the pulp of the fruit. Jamun juice mixed with equal parts mango juice is an effective home remedy. The juice blend should be drunk three times a day.
Obesity and a poor diet are two of the biggest contributors to diabetes. To help control the symptoms one should avoid sugary and fried foods. Eat healthy meals of grilled meat and steamed vegetables. Be sure to get plenty of exercise on a regular basis. And be sure to see your doctor. With the right care and medical attention diabetes does not have to control your life.