Ayurvedic Medicine for Sinusitis
Sinusitis is a disease that is generally caused by the formation of sinuses or through the empty air spaces in the body. These sinuses are generally formed in the skull or in area around head adjacent to nose. Each sinus is able to exchange air and mucus through an opening in the nose. Any infection associated with nose affect sinuses and may cause a severe sinusitis. In addition if there is any obstruction to free air supply, vacuum is created as a result there causes a pain attacks. Headache, cough and fever are the most common symptoms found in this disease.
The symptoms of sinusitis are often mistakenly misinterpreted as common cold, so one must consult doctor before starting any treatment process. The process such as (MRI) A magnetic resonance imaging or (CT) scan should be the first step in diagnosing of sinusitis disease before starting a treatment. You will find some alternatives treatment for of sinusitis which are discussed below:
Some of the common symptoms found in sinuses are Headache, facial pain or feeling pressure of a dull in both chronic sinusitis and acute phases. This pain is usually located in the affected sinus and may worsen when the affected person bends or when lying down. The Pain often begins in the side of the head and progressing to both sides. Some other symptoms may also include such as.
1. Headache - pressure-like pain, pain behind the eyes, toothache, or facial tenderness
2.Nasal congestion and discharge
3. Cough, often worse at night
4.Sore throat and postnasal drip
5.Bad breath or loss of smell
6.Fatigue and malaise
Ayurvedic View On Sinusitis
In most of the cases of sinusitis Ayurvedic medicine has proven itself worthy. It is being recommended most for the treatment of sinusitis as it works quickly and is directed to the cause of inflammation rather than the symptoms. It also helps in healing mucus buildup due to overproduction.
In Ayurvedic treatment medicated oil are rubbed externally and some time internally in the passages of nasal so that heat is generated and Blood flow increases. When blood flow increases, excessive mucus build get drained. Beside the special formulated medicated oil other oil such as linseed oil, ginger, eucalyptus and Guggal are also used.
Causes Of Sinusitis
Sinusitis is generally caused by prolonged viral or bacterial infections, and allergies. Inhaled allergens such as animal dander, dust, mold spores, pollen etc are the main reason of allergic reactions and causing swelling that can affect the appearance of a sinus attack.
The other reason for sinusitis is due to upper respiratory tract infection, nasal allergies resulting in blockage of the opening track from the sinuses to the nose and throat causing mucous built up in the sinuses. Mucus is a main reason for the growth of bacteria or fungi that cause sinusitis.
A person suffering from aliments like osteo-metal complexes are more likely to have disease if he is suffering from allergic sinusitis. Due to allergies mucus are often generated in nasal. If allergy occurs quite frequently, in a channel between the sinus cavities with a narrow nose, then the risk of entry of mucus in the sinus cavity is very large.
Ayurvedic Herbs For Sinusitis
1. Ginger: Ginger acts as a decongestant and helps to clear the sinuses. Place three to four thin slices of ginger root in a quart of boiling water. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Add a tablespoon of honey and drink all day. It is also good for the flu and bronchitis.
2. Mint/Thyme/Rosemary: Put a one teaspoon each of thyme, rosemary and mint in a large bowl. Fresh herbs give best result but if not availed dried herbs can be used. Cover the head with a towel or a blanket and take a deep breath for five minutes and be prepared for sinus drainage. This herbal blend helps to unclog sinuses. Use this treatment twice daily until the sinus infection is gone.
3. Eucalyptus: Place a few drops of eucalyptus oil in the bottom of a large bowl. Pour boiling water carefully into the bowl. Cover the head with a towel or a blanket and take a deep breath for five minutes. This will loosen the mucus and helps to relieve nasal congestion. Use this treatment twice daily until the sinus infection is gone.
4. Garlic: Garlic is an herb that has antibiotic properties. Eat three cloves of garlic every day. You may use garlic capsules if you do not like the taste of garlic. It is very effective in destroying the viral infections.
5. Echinacea: Take six cups of cold water; add six tablespoons of dried Echinacea root to in a pan. Covers the pans when it starts to boil reduce heat to low and let simmer for 10 to 15 minutes and Strain the tea. Drink the tea throughout the day. Echinacea has antibiotic properties it must be taken only when they are sick or suffering from an infection. If taken regularly your body can build immunity to Echinacea. Echinacea capsule can also be taken the dose amount should not more than 1200 mg.
Home Remedies To Treat Sinus Infection
1. Steam therapy: Steam therapy is very simple therapy and effective too. It is one of the most common treatments used for sinusitis. Boil some water in a pan until it starts steaming. Then pour in a cup or a bowl, cover your head and face with a towel or blanket and inhale and exhaling through the nose.
2. Lemon balm: Lemon balm is one of the effective remedy for combating sinusitis causing germs, fungi and bacteria. It is a good choice in the treatment of the sinuses. You can also use, by boiling some dry leaves of lemon balm with water for about ten minutes. Sieve the mixture and use as a gargle to reduce infection.
3. Eucalyptus oil: Take a few drops of dilute eucalyptus oil with warm water and apply to cheek bones for fast relief.
4. Drink plenty of fluids: Drinking plenty of fluids will help to thin the mucus and drain your sinuses. One must avoid alcoholic beverages as it can only worsen the infection.
Apart from the above methods, healthy lifestyle and well maintained balanced diet is must to reduce the chances of getting sinusitis free life. You must also avoid dust, cold food and pollen. Smoking should be strictly avoided if you are suffering from sinusitis.